sábado, 24 de fevereiro de 2018

Pensa a Mary Beard e penso eu

My worry is that it [Theresa May’s post-18 review] will encourage us to imagine that Humanities courses really are cheap. OK they don’t usually need the multi-million pound pieces of equipment that some (not all) bits of science do. But it’s not just a blackboard and a piece of chalk. There are very expensive books and internet facilities that make a humanities department function at full strength (and subscribing to the fullest version of JSTOR is something that many uni libraries say they cant afford).
On the other hand, the idea that the level of fees should be attached to national need (the more we want you, the less we will charge you) doesn’t strike me as good news for the Humanities. I happen to think (as I would) that the country needs people who can talk and argue and write with the skills that my kind of subject offers. But I suspect that the idea of national need will be rather more instrumentally interpreted. So… here’s my prediction … the judgement will be that sciences are more expensive but more useful, and there will be some bonus given, and the humanities will end up more expensive in some way.
Tudo aqui.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário